Reporting to: Head of Science and Headmistress
Hours of Work: Mon-Thurs 8am-3:00pm, Fri 8am-2:00pm. Term Time Only (38 weeks per year)
Salary: £18600 per annum
Type of Contract: 1 year fixed term or permanent
To register your interest, please send a covering letter along with the CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a covering letter and tell us why you want to be a Science Technician at Michaela.
Michaela Community School is an exciting and successful free school that opened in September 2014 and is rated Outstanding by Ofsted. The ambition of our vibrant and energetic team is to transform the lives of all children, including those from disadvantaged backgrounds. We have 620 pupils from years 7 to 11 and 120 in Sixth Form.
The Science department is a friendly and successful team, with a passion for developing and sharing evidence based approaches to teaching and learning. We help our pupils achieve outstanding results across the sciences by providing stimulating teaching and personalised support.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, diligent and committed. Experience is desirable but not necessary as we will train the employee. We would be happy to appoint a candidate with less experience but the right attitude.
- Duties will include the preparation of practicals as well as the organisation and maintenance of specialist equipment and resources
- Stocktaking and ordering resources
- Ensure that both routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment are carried out to the required standard.
- Actively contributing to the assessment, monitoring and review of both health & safety procedures and information resources
- Keeping up to date with current procedures and practices through continuing professional development;
- Good interpersonal skills are required, together with an organised and methodical approach, and the ability to establish and maintain effective and supportive working relationships
- knowledge of chemistry including the safe use and disposal of chemicals – desirable
- knowledge of biology and physics – desirable
- the ability to work well with your hands – essential
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail – essential
- the ability to use your initiative – essential
- the ability to work well with others – essential
- administration skills – essential
- maths knowledge – desirable
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently – desirable
Education and Training
- Educated to GCSE level or A-Level
- Relevant vocational qualifications include NVQs in Laboratory Sciences or Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities.
- Training will be provided
Michaela Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful candidates will need to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS and/or provide police checks from other countries, where appropriate. Michaela Community School is an equal opportunities employer.